Thursday, June 16, 2011

Beginning

It was just yesterday that I finished this very wonderful book called "Towards Zero" by Agatha Christie. A very wonderful book indeed, and I enjoyed it thoroughly. The final twist to things - the random prospect making all the difference that's needed was so wonderfully characteristic of the 'Queen Of Crime'. But then, more than all that, one other thing stays and triggers a thought in my mind. It is a quote from the book.

"I like a good detective story; But you know, they begin in the wrong place! They begin with the murder. But the murder is the end. The story begins long before that - years before sometimes - with all the causes and events that bring certain people to a certain place at a certain time on a certain day. All converging towards a given spot.  Zero Hour."

A very nice quote.

Now, if I were the author, where would I have begun? Is it the scene of murder that decides the prelude of events or do the train of events converge in murder? Now, for a real-time situation, it is at all times, the latter; But what about the fictional case? Where would it have begun? Now, I don't want the answer, because in most cases, the light of fact, just takes away the bliss of ignorant wonder,( ain't I right?) But, if someone were to read this post, and on their mind, were to come a thought of leaving a comment, I would like to know the answer.

Now, did I start writing this post, in view of others' comments? Or did I, just to express my own thoughts?

Befuddled, to find the answer.

\* unleash your thoughts */

12 comments:

  1. Sounds interesting,,,
    Since i haven't read the book, i narrow down to answer your question, though u are not conclusive, however it starts, from murder or from events you should not be so confused, if you were the author of the book, but let the readers enjoy the essence of it...
    And for ur befuddled second question, may be you express your thoughts demanding others comments...
    Good work...

    ReplyDelete
  2. U started writing this post only to express your thoughts....The marabu of starting a detective story with a murder is never boring,though..!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hmmm......
    since i have not read the book,i just couldnt get the essence of this completely.but as readers most ppl dont attempt their version of the story,their way of building it up etc..this thought of yours is appreciable...i would say you have taken your first step in becoming a writer.....all the best!!..keep going!!..:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. u don call a story beginning without a murder a "crime story"...the colossal mystery behind the crime novels being called "interesting" is pledged by the author's way f investigating the murder!!! anyway..ur way of disclosing ur mind is different n good :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. try reading this book and i'm pretty sure your understanding of "interesting" will change. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'd say writing a detective novel is hard. The pulp fiction-y culmination of unrelated events into the crime should be both believable and not cliched. I personally feel that its more fun when only pieces of the story are revealed at the beginning so as to mislead the readers on the motives for the crime, but thats just me :).

    ReplyDelete
  7. The author always lets the reader enjoy his work, as I do even in this post.. It is not a blatant confusion as it may seem but but a question asked to myself :P i hope you got the difference..

    ReplyDelete
  8. ur way of articulating ur views is relishing... ly wen a crime story commences wid a murder , does the author enthrall the audience wid the heady sense of anticipation.... we do not get this feel if the book the entire history , culminating wid d murder...if i wer the author i would want d readers befuddld and confused and exploring the reasons for dat murder....

    ReplyDelete
  9. I would say the same to you, as I have to many others, 'read this book'. Its sure to change your perception on the discontinued flow of time in detective novels..

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi

    I think what makes detective stories tick is the suspense . That's the reason most of them start with the crime as it keeps the readers hooked !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's true :) But, I wouldn't know where to start my thought process if I were the author of a detective fiction, and that makes the awe even more realistic!

      Delete

Say what you feel ! Just like I have :)