Saturday, September 1, 2012

A Walk to the Park

This post has been published by me as a part of the Blog-a-Ton 31; the thirty-first edition of the online marathon of Bloggers; where we decide and we write. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. The theme for the month is 'Strangers in the Night'
"Lunch had no salt in it! I was so hungry and had to stand in that damned queue of the canteen. Can't you even cook properly?"
"I know, I ate the same thing. Oh come on! Can't you adjust for one day? I am a working woman too, you know! Oh you would forget it unless you see the pay cheque every month."
"Don't you talk to me like that!"
The argument was heating up. Harish knew better than to let out words in fury. Sita was always easily irritable.
"Now, stop it there. I'm gonna take a walk. Not a worse mood spoiling environment than two irritated people in the house!"

Harish put on his t-shirt, closed the door behind him and started out towards the park. This park, situated about 6 streets away, was a bustling area. People of all ages would crowd there. Old men discussing politics; young toddlers playing on the see-saw and slide; damsels gossiping and giggling; boys playing shuttle; all sorts of people. Harish was born and brought up in the same locality. And, seldom had it happened that he'd walked the whole length of a street without meeting someone he knew.

"One chewing gum please."
A childhood habit. Still carried on.

He crossed the street, and walked. Surprisingly, the streets were emptier than usual. "I wonder why!", he thought.

In his effort to keep his mind occupied and diverted from the argument at home, he was thinking about random stuff, the shape of the clouds, the unfinished things on the to-do list, so and so..

By now, he'd crossed the 3rd street.

"Son, can you help me?"

He looked down the road and saw the silhouette of an aged man.

"Yes, sure. But what're you doing in a dark alley?"
"Is it dark?"
"Are you kidding me? Can't you see? Its so dark."
"Oh, is it so? For me, its always dark dear man. Haven't seen in 3 years."
"I'm so sorry! I didn't know.. Please excuse me.. Tell me, how may I help you? Are you lost?"
"No, son. It is not I, that needs help. Its my wife. She can't see either."
"What can I do for you?"
"Earlier, her slippers tore. There's a thorn stuck in her foot. I can feel it, but I can't remove it. She couldn't walk. I was carrying her on my shoulders but my aged back hurts.
Could you help please?"
"Yes, of course!"

He bent down and examined the old lady's feet.

She shrieked. "Dear me, that's not necessary boy. Please. Its alright. I can bear with a little pain. In fact, what is life without a little discomfort?"
"Atleast let me take you to a doctor. He'll take out the thorn."
"If I could afford a doctor, I could surely have afforded to buy new slippers dear boy. Beggars like us, can't afford such luxury."

Harish was stunned. He insisted on helping the old lady and pulled out the thorn and loosely bandaged her foot. He didn't mind the fact that they were beggars.

"Done. Will suffice for now. I have to go."
The man said, "Thank you so much son."

Harish left them and resumed his walk. His mind was occupied with a different thought, however. It was something that the lady said.

"What is life without a little discomfort?"

They were strangers in the night. He didn't know their names. They were beggars. Yet, what he learnt from them seemed priceless.

He realized that in his preoccupied state, he'd walked back to his own home.

Sita opened the door.
Harish hugged her and said, "Sorry dear."
"What is wrong with you? 10 minutes ago, you were so red and furious!"
"Oh what is life without a little discomfort?"
The fellow Blog-a-Tonics who took part in this Blog-a-Ton and links to their respective posts can be checked here. To be part of the next edition, visit and start following Blog-a-Ton. Introduced By: Jaishree Srivatsan, Participation Count: 1

53 comments:

  1. what is life without a little discomfort?" Agreed!!


    All the best for BAT!

    ❤Not Just My Allegories❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you liked it. Thank you Anisha :) Read your post. It was a really good one :)

      Delete
  2. Raj,

    A unique take on the prompt! What a line, 'What is life without a little discomfort?' Very true..

    Keep writing! Good luck for BAT!

    Someone is Special

    ReplyDelete
  3. Life does teach us strange lessons doesn't it? Especially strangers :) If the same thing were to be explained by friends/family, we always think they're biased. Nicely done! Best wishes for BAT!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was exactly what was on my mind. Things, like these, are ignored as boring advice. Thank you Deepa! Glad you liked it. Your post about the Wagah border was wonderfully beautiful :)

      Delete
  4. Superb take. Inspiring pendown.kudos

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice, sweet story. I like stories with morals.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! And I thought that trend was vanishing :P Anyway, glad you liked it! Your post was brilliant. Loved the Circe part. Whatever be the genre, a topping of mythology always does good :)

      Delete
  6. it always someone else's pain that makes you realise how trivial your is :)quite a good read

    all the best for BAT :)

    if you have time do visit Strangers in the night...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, right you are! Thank you Richa :) Read your post. Was a sweet one :)

      Delete
  7. Oh! Lovely. Great message from the stranger. This is the first BAT post I'm reading, and I enjoyed it. Good job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Replies
    1. Thank you Dreamer :) Read your post. Was just brilliant! :) Loved it through and through :)

      Delete
  9. "what is life without a little discomfort"
    bulls eye
    ATB for BAT :)
    i could not participate...but u can see my post here
    Karan - Strangers in the Night

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Karan :) Read your poem :) Was a beautiful description of the wife's longing in the final para. Sad that you missed the deadline..

      Delete
  10. No one wants any discomfort in their lives. It is only we stick to those morals when we have no choice but to stick to them :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're right, but at some point acceptance comes. Just like the character in your story :)

      Delete
    2. Exactly, my story reveals not just a moral, but also a contradiction to it. It's all about the battle of two theories of idealism. That's it!

      Delete
  11. There are people out there battling monstrous life-threatening situations and we get upset over little disappointments. The post teaches us to keep things in perspective and also, no less importantly, everyone, no matter what their station in life, can teach us something valuable :) Good to read, all the best!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Precisely what I wanted to convey ! :) Thank you Sandeep :) Your post was overflowing with brilliance! Loved it through and through :)

      Delete
  12. Wonderful take, Rajkiran! Making mountains out of molehills is the way we destroy our own happiness and relationships :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Suresh! :) Glad to see you here. Your post was awesome. I could've never guessed it was written in 2 hours if you hadn't said.

      Delete
  13. Such a happy ending, when lots of takes were on the couples moving out of each othher; some times we have to learn not only from us but also from others the meaning of being able and show some gratitude :)

    Do stop by my blog! Kappu

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing benefits karma like gratitude na? Thank you Kappu :)

      Your post was a nice take on the topic :)

      Delete
  14. strangers sometimes teach us any Important things in life!
    lovely take!

    all the best buddy :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashzzes :) Loved your post about Nero :)

      Delete
    2. hey, that was 'many' not 'any'!!
      so glad that you liked my post, would have loved it If you would have left your foot prints there !! :D:D
      nevertheless a big THANK YOU':D:D

      Delete
    3. Figured that :-P

      Footprints eh? I left only comments, I suppose :D

      Will visit your blog often henceforth :)

      Delete
  15. Very nice story Rajkumar . The flow and the narration were excellent . And very sweet message too . Btw if the old man can't see how did he address him as 'Son' ? May be he addresses everyone like that ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you :) While thinking of the plot, I imagined Harish got a call, and thence this follows. Else, the old man wouldn't know that he was there in the first place :P But didn't elaborate on that note :) My bad. Thanks for pointing it out :)

      Btw, Rajkumar's my dad's name. :P I'm just Rajkiran.

      Delete
    2. And your 'Mazes' post was superb! I love such non-linear narratives :)

      Delete
  16. Aah the message, touched my heart. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Short and sweet. Very relateable, if I could say that :)

    ATB for BAT 31

    Here's my entry


    CRD - BLAME IT ON THE DARK

    Cheers
    CRD

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 'Relatable' - Thank you so much CRD :) That means a lot.

      Your post was just pure brilliance. Uncanny and superb take on the topic!

      Delete
  18. Beautiful post! We learn each day and almost from everything and everyone!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I repeat again..' What is life without a little discomfort'
    Good thought from strangers in the night!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great message in the simple story... nice one

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Amit :) Glad you liked it! Do keep visiting..

      Delete
  21. Loved that punchline..Oh what is life without a little discomfort

    ReplyDelete
  22. Replies
    1. Thank you Panchali :) Thanks for becoming a member :)

      Delete
  23. Ini ena raj! Poonthu vilayadu! As I already said, an excellent one from you! Punch lines are your specialty! Keep rocking !

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha, was waiting for your comment all along :D

      Thanks da :) You're a constant supporter.

      Delete

Say what you feel ! Just like I have :)